A gorgeous and delicious cookie with a nutritional benefit. Each cookie is one-half whole grain and contains the antioxidant Vitamin E.Yield: 3 ½ dozen
Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
Nutritional Highlights: Every cookie is one-half whole grain from the white whole wheat flour. Almond meal adds antioxidant Vitamin E to these decadent and delicious butter-rich treats.Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
Recipe From: My Indiana Home
Total Comments: 5
Post a Comment
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond flour (also known as almond meal)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon each lemon and orange zest, finely grated
- ¼ cup each strawberry, blackberry and apricot preserves, jelly or jam (or, use any favorite flavor of jam, jelly or preserves)
Tips & Notes
Change up the flavors! Replace the suggested jams with your favorites. Any fruit-flavored jam or preserves is delicious.
- Whisk together three flours in medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in large bowl of electric mixer with paddle attachment. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Mix in almond extract and lemon and orange zests.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture slowly, mixing well after each addition.
- Place dough on large piece of plastic wrap, form into slightly flattened disk and completely cover with wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shape dough into 1 to 1-1/4-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Make deep indentation in center of each ball with thumb. Edges may crack slightly, but that’s okay.
- Fill each indentation with at least ¼ teaspoon preserves or jam.
- Bake for 14 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand one minute on cookie sheet then remove to wire cooling racks.
- Once cooled, store in tightly covered container in single layer.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: Calories – 83, Total Fat – 4.7g, Sodium – 31mg, Total Carbohydrates – 9.6g, Protein – .8g **Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.