These sweet summer fruit turnovers dusted with cinnamon get a kick from cayenne and whiskey.Yield: 6 turnovers
Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
Total Comments: None
Post a Comment
- 1 package of frozen wonton wrappers (6 medium wraps)
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- ½ cup brown sugar
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 ounce cinnamon
- 2 ounces lemon juice
- Canola oil for frying
- Core, peel and small-dice the apples. Place apples in water with lemon juice and set aside.
- Melt butter over low heat and slowly stir in sugar until dissolved. Drain apples and add to the pan.
- Add cayenne pepper and bourbon, and cook until the apples are soft. Remove apples from heat.
- Lay out the wontons on a clean surface. Place a heaping spoonful of the apple filling in the middle of each wrapper. Lightly moisten the edges of the wrappers with water and fold the wrapper over the filling to form a half-moon shape. Crimp edges closed with a fork.
- Lightly pan-fry the filled won tons in canola oil until the turnovers are golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels and dust with cinnamon.