Test our Beef Stew Cook-Off winner’s best down-home beef stew recipe.
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Recipe From: Tennessee Home and Farm
Total Comments: 2
Post a Comment
- 2 ½ pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 ¼ cup beef stock
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 ½ cups potatoes, cubed
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Season the beef generously with salt and pepper.
- Add oil and meat to kettle, and brown beef on all sides over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add one cup beef stock and slow cook the beef for approximately 1 hour.
- After meat is tender, add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, and serve with crackers or cornbread.