Sweet onions, tart Granny Smith apples, savory bacon and pure maple syrup makes this recipe stand out from your average baked beans.Yield: 10 cups (15 servings of ⅔ cup each)
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Nutritional Highlights: Apple and great northern beans both provide soluble fiber, the type that helps lower cholesterol and enhance heart health.Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
Recipe From: My Indiana Home
Total Comments: 7
Post a Comment
- 5 cans (15 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ¼ cups Granny Smith apples (2 very large apples), peeled and chopped
- 1 ⅔ cups sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cups hickory barbecue sauce
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup stone-ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
Tips & Notes
Choose Granny Smith, the most tart apple variety, to balance the sweet ingredients in this baked bean dish.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Pour in 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish or cast iron Dutch oven coated with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and heated throughout.