Fresh ginger, basil and Asian fish sauce spice up finely chopped fresh tuna.Yield: 4 burgers
Difficulty Rating: Expert
Nutritional Highlights: Red onions pack their own nutrient punch of fiber and vitamin C.Recipe Created By: Kristen Winston Catering
Recipe From: Tennessee Home and Farm
Total Comments: 5
Post a Comment
Thai Tuna Burgers:
- Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced
- ¼ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 1 ½ pounds sushi-quality tuna (available from grocery)
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts, finely chopped
Tips & Notes
The hearty, dense buns found in your grocer's bakery section hold up well with this burger recipe.
- Prepare cucumber salad: Toss the cucumbers, onions, vinegar, 1 tablespoon of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Generously season with pepper and let stand for about an hour at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a second medium bowl, mash to a paste with the back of a spoon: ginger, garlic, chili and remaining teaspoon of sugar. Stir in fish sauce, cilantro and basil.
- Thinly slice the tuna on a clean cutting board. Stack slices and cut into matchstick-size pieces. Cut these pieces into cubes, and chop until they are about 1/8 inch.
- Add the chopped tuna to the ginger paste and stir until evenly combined.
- Lightly moisten hands and shape the tuna mixture into four patties about 1-inch thick. Place on a plate lined with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Prepare Ginger-Lemon Mayonnaise: Combine all of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Light the grill and brush the grate, tuna patties and cut sides of the buns with a mixture of the vegetable and sesame oils.
- Grill the burgers for 6 minutes, turning once, for medium rare. Move away from the heat and grill the cut sides of the buns until toasted.
- Drain the cucumber salad. Spread Ginger-Lemon Mayonnaise on the buns and place the tuna burgers on the bottoms. Top with the cucumber salad and peanuts. Cover with top bun and serve.