More than 1 billion pounds of pumpkins are produced in the the United States each year, and more than 495 million of those pounds are grown in Illinois. The top pumpkin producing Illinois counties include Tazewell, Kankakee, Mason and Logan. Check out these pumpkin facts:
• Most pumpkins are grown for processing, not ornamental sales.
• Pumpkin flowers are edible.
• Pumpkins are a fruit.
• Pumpkins are 90 percent water.
• Pumpkins were once recommended for removing freckles and curing snake bites. Today, they aren’t considered remedies to either.
• Pumpkins range in size from less than a pound to over 1,000 pounds. The largest pumpkin ever grown weighed 1,140 pounds.
• The largest pumpkin pie ever made was 20 feet in diameter and weighed 3,699 pounds. It was made at New Bremen Pumpkinfest in New Bremen, Ohio. The crust was made of 440 sheets of dough.
SEE MORE: The Great Pumpkin Quiz