Wheat has long been one of the most important crops in the world, with millions of acres devoted to wheat production. Kansas produces the most wheat of any state, making up 18 percent of the total U.S. wheat production. Illinois ranks third in the nation, with about 83 percent of wheat production taking place in the southern half of the state.
Consider the following wheat facts:
- More foods are made with wheat than any other cereal grain.
- One bushel of wheat yields 60 pounds of whole-wheat flour.
- A bushel of wheat makes about 90 one-pound loaves of whole-wheat bread.
- Wheat is grown in 42 states.
- A family of four can live 10 years off the bread produced from 1 acre of wheat.
Source: The Wheat Foods Council