Want your creative carving to last as long as possible? Here are a few simple steps to take to keep your jack-o’-lantern fresh for up to 10 days:
1. Remove dirt
Wipe the exterior surfaces of the carved pumpkin clean using a damp cloth.
2. Treat with bleach solution
Combine 1 tablespoon of bleach per quart of water and put in a spray bottle. Spray the inside of your carved pumpkin and all of the cut surfaces with the solution. This will kill a lot of the surface bacteria and mold that cause rotting. Let the pumpkin sit for 20 minutes, and then rinse with cool water. (Be sure to wear gloves so you don’t touch the bleach solution directly.)
3. Cover with petroleum jelly
Rub the carved or cut surfaces with petroleum jelly or vegetable oil cooking spray. This will keep out new bacteria and molds and help prevent your jack-o’-lantern from dehydrating.
4. Keep it cool
Keep your pumpkin out of direct sunlight and keep it as cool as possible – but above freezing.
See more: Farm Facts: Pumpkins
Treat yourself after all that hard work with some delicious pumpkin recipes!