Did you know that more than 100 agricultural crops in the U.S. are pollinated by honeybees? The insect is very important to agriculture. So important, in fact, that one out of every three bites of food that people eat is thanks to honeybees. Learn more about the necessary pollinator:
- Honeybees account for 80 percent of all insect pollination.
- A “package” of bees refers to adult bees, with or without a queen, that are contained in a screened shipping cage and sold.
- A Cornell University study estimated that bees contribute more than $15 billion worth of crops every year through pollination.
- Georgia is one of the states in the U.S. that greatly benefits from their honeybee industry. The industry generates $70 million each year in the state through sales of honey, beeswax, queen bees and package bees. The state ranks second in the nation in production of queen bees and package bees.
- The honeybee is the Georgia state insect.