Red, white and blueberries are the perfect way to celebrate the Fourth of July weekend. After all, there is nothing as American as apple, er…blueberry pie!
June and July are peak blueberry season, and the ideal time to wander through a u-pick field, popping handfuls of tiny blue orbs into your mouth.
Blueberry Health Benefits
Not only are blueberries perfect for a game of Smurf soccer, but they also offer numerous health benefits.
- These easy-to-eat fruits have only 80 calories per cup.
- A great source of antioxidants, blueberries help reduce inflammation, cardiovascular diseases, cancer and memory loss.
- Blueberries contain a high amount of vitamin C, which boosts your immune system.
- Dietary fiber found in blueberries lowers cholesterol and helps maintain a healthy heart.
- Blueberries are a healthy snack, easy to grab on the go.
Blueberries don’t just appear on the supermarket shelves, waiting for you to gorge yourself on their juicy goodness. Producers across the world are responsible for providing fresh berries.
- Blueberries grow on bushes that can also be used for ornamental purposes.
- While blueberries can be grown all over the country, ten states account for 98 percent of U.S. commercial production.
- Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Georgia, New Jersey and California produce the most blueberries in the U.S., Michigan being the largest producer.
- Blueberries may be sold fresh or frozen, pureed, concentrated, canned or dried.
- In addition to other processed foods, blueberries can be used in value-added products such as yogurt, pastries and cereals.
SEE MORE: What’s in Season: Cherries
Because of their versatility, you can enjoy blueberries with practically any meal. Even a fresh salad could benefit from a bit of sprinkling of these delicious gems. Enjoy these sweet and savory blueberry recipes.
Grilled Chicken Thighs With Blueberry Salsa
Blueberry Peach Parfait
Blueberry Corn Salad With Honey-Lime Dressing
Blueberry Chicken Salad Wraps
Blueberry Drop Cookies
Summer Spinach Salad
Georgia Blueberry Granola Bars
Quick Blueberry-Cranberry Relish
Apricot-Filled Blueberry Biscuits
Pink Blueberry Lemonade
Blueberry Dump Cake
Sources: Blueberry Council