You often see people knocking on hefty watermelons in the grocery store or at the farmers market, but do you know how to tell if a watermelon is ripe?
Here are a couple of quick tips on how to pick out the perfect watermelon, how to store it properly and what to do when you’re making a watermelon recipe in a hurry.
See more: What Is Yellow Watermelon?
- Select whole watermelons that are heavy for their size, with a creamy yellow spot on the underside and a dried stem.
- Pick a dull watermelon. A shiny exterior oven indicates an unripe watermelon.
- Give the watermelon a thump with your thumb. A ripe watermelon will have a deep, hollow sound.
- Store whole watermelons at room temperature.
- Cut watermelon should be refrigerated and used within five days.
- Short on time? Buy pre-cut chunks or wedges of watermelon in the produce department.
After selecting the perfect watermelon, try one of these wonderful watermelon recipes: