Looking for something to cook for dinner or a quick, sweet treat? Look to Fresh From Florida recipes for inspiration. Fresh! videos are posted regularly on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
The recipes feature the state’s fresh commodities and step-by-step instructions for preparation. Log on to www.facebook.com/FloridaAgriculture and click the Videos tab to see fast, easy recipe videos using Florida ingredients including seafood, fresh produce and more to prepare appetizers, main dishes, side dishes, salads and desserts. The videos range from one to two minutes long and include tips and tricks to make preparation easy and flawless.
The recipe videos are some of the most popular posts on Fresh From Florida’s Facebook page.
Tens of thousands of people have viewed these videos to learn from Chef Justin Timineri about how to make everything from Stuffed Florida Mushrooms to Fresh! Florida Fruit Sangria.
The Fresh! Florida Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart recipe has garnered more than 79,000 views. To simplify, Chef Justin says store-bought pie dough is just fine, and he shows viewers how to roll it out and stuff it with Florida ripe tomatoes, goat cheese and herbs.
What makes Fresh! Florida Sangria stand out is that you can make it year round because some type of fruit is always in season. Just combine ripe watermelon, blueberries, passion fruit, mango or other fresh fruit with Florida fruit wine, Florida orange juice and ginger ale.
Check out these and more recipes below:
Florida Eggplant, Tomato and Mozzarella Melt
- 1 Florida eggplant, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 Florida tomatoes, sliced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Olive oil
- 8 slices rustic bread or rolls
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly drizzle olive oil onto the sliced eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Place the eggplant on a cookie sheet and slide it into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and turn the oven to broil. Lightly drizzle the bread with olive oil, and toast under the broiler. Remove the bread from the broiler when it is toasted.
- To assemble the sandwich, layer the eggplant, tomato and mozzarella. Place the sandwich back under the broiler to melt the cheese. Remove sandwich from oven and serve warm.