Farmers market fare from Oklahoma producers provides more than just knowledge about where your food comes from. Eating fresh, local produce is great for your health, as well. Take a look at some of the added nutritional benefits of eating farm-to-table foods:
- Research shows that many essential nutrients found in fresh produce may protect you from cancer, high blood pressure, heart disease and Type 2 diabetes.
- Fresh produce gives you more energy, helps control weight gain and may even reduce the effects of aging.
- Phytochemicals are powerful food factors that elicit profound effects on human health maintenance and disease prevention. They’re usually found in plant pigments, so yellow, orange, red, green and purple fruits and vegetables generally contain the most phytochemicals.
- Beta carotene, which is found in carrots and sweet potatoes, has been shown to protect against lung cancer.
- Spinach and broccoli are great sources of calcium, which is important for bone health.
- Bright bell peppers, green beans, berries and cauliflower are all a good source of vitamin C, which is known for bolstering the immune system.
- Blueberries contain antioxidants that are known for having memory-boosting potential, however all berries are antioxidant-rich. This means that they combat radicals, which are molecules that can cause widespread cell damage.