Fresh apples and rich cheddar cheese are a winning combination in these scones.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Jessi Heggan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 green apple, peeled, sliced ¼-inch thick and quartered
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Grate the butter into the bowl, and use a pastry cutter to cut butter into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the cheese and small apple slices and mix. Add the cream, and use your hands to knead the dough and form into a ball. Add more cream if too dry.
- Cut the ball of dough in half and form 2 disks. Use your hands to flatten out the disks until they are about 3 inches thick. Cut the disk in half down the middle and then cut three triangles out of each half. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until scones are lightly golden.