- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 ½ cups sugar, divided
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 46 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons molasses or sorghum
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans. Whisk together oil, eggs, 1 ½ cups sugar, sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and salt until well combined. Alternately add flour and buttermilk until just evenly mixed. There should be just enough batter to measure 2/3 cup into each pan. Measure and spread the batter carefully to cover the entire bottom of the three pans.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely. Repeat with the remaining batter to make six layers. Don’t worry, these thin layers cool quickly.
- While cake layers are cooling, prepare the apple filling. Combine applesauce, remaining cup of sugar, molasses or sorghum, lemon zest, butter, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until well combined and it begins to thicken. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- To assemble, spread a layer of filling on the bottom cake layer. Stack the next cake layer carefully and repeat, ending with a cake layer. Be sure to divide filling in equal portions so there is enough for the top.
- Wrap cake gently with plastic wrap and allow to rest overnight before serving.
See more: 10 Fun Facts About Apples