Tarragon Bacon Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon bacon, chopped
- ½ tablespoon rendered bacon fat, warmed
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 3-4 ounces mixed lettuce kept whole (butter, summer crisp, oakleaf)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (or 1 heirloom tomato, cut into wedges)
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 2 ounces bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 cup bacon croutons
- To make dressing, combine shallots, tarragon, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and bacon in a medium bowl, and mix well.
- In a slow, steady stream, whisk warm bacon fat and olive oil into the mixture. Thin with a tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency is reached.
To make salad, arrange lettuce on a large platter. Arrange tomatoes, slices of cucumber, bacon and croutons on top of the salad. When ready to serve, drizzle tarragon bacon vinaigrette over everything, then serve to individual plates.