Sweet blackberries pair perfectly with tangy balsamic vinegar in this unique dessert.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ cups fresh blackberries, divided
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2-4 tablespoons honey, optional
- fresh mint
- Over low heat, stir the vinegar occasionally in a medium saucepan. Allow to reduce to ½ cup, so it’s thick enough to coat a spoon. Set ¼ cup reduced vinegar aside.
- Add berries to saucepan with remaining ¼ cup reduced vinegar. Cook over medium low heat until berries are softened and well combined to make a thick sauce, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Cool berry mixture thoroughly.
- Allow ice cream to soften slightly. Layer ice cream and berry-vinegar mixture alternately and stir until layered evenly, but not incorporated. Freeze until ready to serve.
- Taste reduced vinegar for sweetness. If desired, stir in honey to make it sweeter. Drizzle over ice cream, and garnish with fresh berries and mint.
Tips & Notes
Take this dessert up a notch by adding very ripe, fresh peaches on top.