This spreadable marmalade tastes great on freshly baked biscuits. Or try it in your next recipe for jam thumbprint cookies for a winning combination.
- Makes: 9 half-pint (8-ounce) jars
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Cheryl Armstrong
- Recipe From: My Indiana Home
- 3-4 medium lemons
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 4 pints (64 ounces) fresh blackberries
- 3 large ripe mangos
- 7 tablespoons classic powdered pectin
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- Wash lemons and dry skin. Using a potato peeler, carefully peel away the lemon zest while minimizing white pith underneath. Cut into thin (1/8-inch-by-1/4-inch) pieces to fill 1/3 cup. Squeeze lemons to make 2 tablespoons juice.
- Peel ginger root with a potato peeler and finely grate to equal 1 tablespoon.
- Wash blackberries and pat dry. Peel mangos, then dice and purée in food processor until smooth. Mangoes should make 3 cups purée.
- Combine prepared fruits, ginger, lemon juice and pectin in an 8-quart non-reactive metal stockpot. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently but constantly to prevent scorching, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
- Quickly stir in sugar until fully dissolved. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly, and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from stove, then gently stir for 5 minutes to eliminate any foam and evenly distribute the fruit. Ladle into clean freezer-safe glass jars or plastic containers, leaving ½-inch of space at the top. Cool for 1 hour on the countertop, then seal with an airtight lid. Place in refrigerator overnight to set.
- Keep refrigerated and consume within 3 weeks or store in freezer up to 1 year (thaw overnight in the refrigerator).
Tips & Notes
- It’s important to carefully peel citrus fruits to minimize the white pith underneath, which has a bitter taste.
- Avoid using overripe mangos since they are lower in pectin and will produce a softer marmalade.
- Substitute black or red raspberries for the blackberries and/or your favorite citrus fruit peel to create your own unique flavor.