Classic chicken and dumpling soup is toasty warm on cold nights.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- 8 cups favorite chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, deboned, skinned and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus ¼ cup
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- In a bowl, combine dumpling ingredients until well mixed. Gather the dough into a ball and place on a well-floured surface. Pat with hands into about a 12-by-12-inch square, using additional flour to prevent sticking. Slice the dough into 24 strips.
- Heat the stock with vegetables in a large stockpot. When the stock begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and carefully add the dumplings. They will float to the top and require occasional and gentle stirring.
- When the dumplings begin to thicken, add the chicken pieces and combine them well. Stir ¼ cup flour into the ½ cup cold milk. When lumps are combined, gently stir this into the pot. This will make a gravy-like texture that will hold everything together. Serve hot.