These stovetop chicken fajita bowls make a quick and easy weeknight meal that the whole family can customize with favorite ingredients and toppings.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Jessi Heggan
- Photo by: Jessi Heggan
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can black beans
- Romaine lettuce
- Pepper jack cheese
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add 2 tablespoons oil, the sliced peppers and onions, and 1 teaspoon salt. Saute for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until peppers and onions are tender and caramelized.
- Thinly slice chicken into strips, pat dry and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and then the chicken strips. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Add the seasoning mixture and juice of 1 lime. Stir to combine.
- Divide the chicken, fajita vegetables, rice and beans among 4 bowls. Add any desired toppings such as lettuce, cheese, salsa or guacamole.