- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 6 cups fresh peas, shelled, or 2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen peas
- 6 ounces plain, nonfat strained Greek yogurt
- 12 fresh basil leaves, rinsed
- Add the olive oil to a large pot. Cook until sizzling over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned.
- Add the broth, salt and pepper; stir and bring to a boil. Add the peas, cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the yogurt and basil leaves.
- Puree the soup in a blender or in the pot using an immersion blender, thinning with water if the soup is too thick, until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature. Transfer the soup to a container, cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Garnish before serving.
Tips & Notes
This soup can be made ahead and chilled for up to 2 days.