Sweet apple-cinnamon bread and dried apples amp up tasty bread pudding.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: (¾ cup pudding without ice cream): 244 calories, 5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 142 mg sodium, 8 g protein, 3 g fiber, 84 mg cholesterol, 44 carbohydrates, 30 g sugar
- Recipe Created By: Jodie Shield
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 1 cup dried, sliced apple rings, chopped
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 3 ½ cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 5 cups (1 ½-inch) cubed, whole-grain cinnamon-raisin bread (about 12 ounces)
- cooking spray
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine dried apples and apple cider in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and eggs. Whisk until well combined.
- Stir in bread cubes and apple mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Pour bread pudding into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 50 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tips & Notes
This comforting dessert also makes a satisfying bread pudding breakfast served with warm maple syrup.