- 5 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- uncooked pie crust for a double-crust pie
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place cherries, sugar, cornstarch, almond extract, water and salt in a medium-size saucepan over low heat. Stir occasionally until filling is thickened and begins to bubble on the edges of the pan.
- Layer the bottom crust in a 9-inch pan. Pour in hot filling and cover with remaining crust. Trim and pinch edges. Sprinkle top of crust with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until crust is golden.