- 3 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ cup bacon, cooked and chopped
- 5-6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or crème fraîche
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Bacon croutons, for garnish
- Heat bacon fat in a stockpot on medium-high. Add onions, carrots and celery, and sauté until vegetables are translucent, but not brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, bacon and split peas to vegetables, and continue to cook for 1 minute on medium heat. Add 5 cups of chicken stock and bring to a full boil, then reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 40 to 45 minutes, or until split peas are fully cooked.
- Once split peas have cooked through, blend small amounts of soup at a time with your blender until very smooth, or use an immersion blender to do all at once. Once all soup is blended, add sour cream or crème fraîche and lemon juice, mix thoroughly.
- Portion soup, garnish with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche, crumbled bacon, pea shoots and bacon croutons (or toast points).