- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- ¾ cup raisins
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10-by-15-by-1-inch jelly roll baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, and mix thoroughly. Add oats, walnuts, raisins and chocolate chips. Mix well until blended. Spread batter in pan.
- Bake 17 to 19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a very slight amount of stickiness. Do not overcook, as bars harden slightly as they cool.
- Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars and store in tightly covered container.
Tips & Notes
Bars may appear a tad “puffed” in the oven but will deflate once cooled. Do not overcook.