- 8 small tomatillos, husks removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped and divided
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and cut into quarters
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, divided
- ¼ pound Mexican chorizo
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Mexican shredded cheese, divided
- 12 corn tortillas
- To make salsa verde, cook and stir tomatillos, garlic, red pepper and ½ cup onions in a nonstick skillet. Heat until tomatillos are browned. Add ½ cup water and cover. Cook 5 minutes more until tomatillos are softened and water is evaporated. Transfer to blender. Add remaining water, jalapeño and ½ cup cilantro, and blend until smooth.
- In the same skillet used to make the salsa, brown the chorizo and remaining ½ cup onions. Drain. Add eggs, and cook for 2 minutes or until eggs begin to set. Stir in half of the cheese.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray. Spread ¾ cup tomatillo sauce on bottom. Take the corn tortillas and dip briefly in water (to help prevent cracking). Place ⅓ cup egg-chorizo mixture down the center of each tortilla, roll up and place seam-side down in baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and salsa verde.
- Bake for 20 minutes. When done, sprinkle remaining chopped cilantro over enchiladas.