Grilled pizza makes the perfect summer entrée. No need to wrestle with sticky pizza dough – keep it simple and use a ready-made flatbread for the crust.
- Makes: 4 individual pizzas (12 servings)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Nutrition Highlights Per Serving (1/3 of an individual pizza): 243 calories, 12 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 463 mg sodium, 11 g protein, 4 g fiber, 18 mg cholesterol, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g sugar
- Recipe Created By: Jodie Shield
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- ½ pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ orange bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ medium white onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 naan whole wheat flatbreads (12-inches each, about 1 pound total)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the grill to medium heat, about 350 degrees.
- On the stove in a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the Italian sausage, breaking it up into bite-size pieces for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove sausage from the pan draining any fat, and set aside.
- In the same pan used to cook the sausage, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the bell peppers and onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Brush one side of each flatbread with the remaining olive oil. Place the flatbreads directly on the hot grill grates, oil side down. Lightly char for 1 to 2 minutes or until grill marks appear. Remove flatbreads from the grill.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the charred side of each flatbread. Sprinkle on the Italian sausage, bell pepper and onion, basil, and mozzarella cheese.
- Return flatbreads to the grill; cook covered for 2 to 3 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the pizzas from the grill and cut into slices before serving.
Tips & Notes
Grilling the flatbreads before adding the topping creates a crispier crust.