A twist on traditional lasagna, this mediterranean version features chicken instead of ground beef, feta cheese, black olives and grape tomatoes.
- Makes: 8-10 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups 2% or whole milk
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 5 ounces spring green mix (any combination)
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a deep-dish 13-by-9-inch casserole dish. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the garlic until just fragrant. Stir in the flour until it foams. Whisk in the milk, and stir until the mixture thickens into a white sauce. Mix in the chicken, oregano, pepper flakes and salt.
- Spoon 1-2 cups of white sauce into the casserole dish. Layer 4 lasagna noodles on top. Sprinkle half of each type of cheese over the noodles, and then add a second layer of noodles. Spread all of the greens evenly on top. Add another 1-2 cups of sauce, a third layer of noodles and the remaining cheese. Sprinkle the black olives evenly over the cheese.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Garnish with grape tomatoes just before serving.