Grilled banana splits filled with a rum-flavored butter sauce are the perfect dessert to end a summer meal.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Nutrition Highlights Per Serving: 372 calories, 8 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 101 mg sodium, 6 g protein, 4 g fiber, 25 mg cholesterol, 70 g carbohydrate, 44 g sugar
- Recipe Created By: Jodie Shield
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 4 bananas
- 8 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons rum extract, optional
- 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt (or your favorite flavor)
- ¼ cup chocolate syrup
- 4 tablespoons whipped cream, optional
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- maraschino cherries, optional
- Heat the grill to low, about 300 degrees.
- Make an incision lengthwise on the side of each banana, leaving 1 inch uncut at both ends and the peel intact. Spread each cut banana open and place 2 teaspoons of butter, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of rum extract inside (if using). Grill, covered, until the butter mixture has melted and bananas are heated through, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Move the bananas to 4 separate sundae dishes. Carefully flip the bananas over and pour the sauce into the bottom of each dish. Peel off the skins, and add a scoop of frozen yogurt and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Top with whipped cream, nuts and cherries. Serve immediately.Tips: To prevent the bananas from tipping, grill them on a metal taco shell tray or pieces of foil folded around the bananas but not covering them.
Tips & Notes
To prevent the bananas from tipping, grill them on a metal taco shell tray or pieces of foil folded around the bananas but not covering them.