Sturdy romaine lettuce can withstand the heat and char of the grill, which adds a smoky flavor. Top this salad off with homemade Caesar dressing.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Nutrition Highlights Per Serving (½ romaine head and 2 tablespoons dressing): 265 calories, 21 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 526 mg sodium, 10 g protein, 7 g fiber, 22 mg cholesterol, 13 g cabs, 5 g sugar
- Recipe Created By: Jodie Shield
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup olive oil-based reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, optional
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- To make the dressing, whisk the garlic, anchovy paste, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce in a medium-size bowl until well combined. Add the mayonnaise, grated Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper (if using) and mix thoroughly.
- To make the salad, brush grill grate with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and heat to medium, or about 350 degrees.
- Rinse romaine heads with water removing any damaged outer leaves. Cut each romaine head in half lengthwise but leave the remainder of the stem attached. (This holds the leaves together.) Drizzle the cut side of each half with the remaining olive oil.
- Place the romaine halves, cut side down, on the grill directly over the fire, and grill about 2 to 3 minutes or until the leaves develop a little char and have begun to wilt. Turn the lettuce over and cook about 2 minutes more.
- Transfer the romaine halves, cut side up, to individual plates, and garnish each plate with the tomatoes and shaved Parmesan. Spoon some of the dressing over each salad and serve immediately.