Delicious sausages served with onions and peppers make for a hearty meal.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per Serving (1 sausage and ¾ cup onion-pepper mixture): 319 calories, 23g fat, 6g saturated fat, 437mg sodium, 13g protein, 3g fiber, 33mg cholesterol, 15 carbohydrates, 8g sugar
- Recipe Created By: Jodie Shield
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 4 sausages (about 1 pound) any kind (Italian, polish, brat)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup wine or beer
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, halved and sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, stem and core removed, sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stem and core removed, sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, stem and core removed, sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or red wine vinegar, optional
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare grill for high heat or preheat broiler.
- With a fork, poke sausages several times. Place in a pot, cover with water and wine or beer, and simmer over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and bell peppers and cook until soft and translucent, about 20 minutes. Stir in vinegar, if using, and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, place sausages on grill or under broiler, and cook until well browned, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve on a mound of caramelized onions and peppers or tuck into a whole-grain bun.