Fresh, tangy lime amps up the flavor in this easy poke cake.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Cheryl Armstrong
- Recipe From: My Indiana Home
- 1 box white cake mix
- vegetable oil and eggs as listed on cake mix box
- 2-2 ¼ cups prepared limeade (such as Simply Limeade), divided
- 1 tablespoon lime peel, freshly grated
- green food coloring
- 14 ounces (1 container) fluffy white frosting
- 2 teaspoons lime peel, freshly grated
- fresh lime twists, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch metal or glass cake pan. Set aside.
- Prepare white cake mix as directed on box using the vegetable oil and eggs, EXCEPT substitute equal amount of prepared limeade for the water and add 1 tablespoon grated lime peel. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake as directed on box.
- Measure ¾ cup prepared limeade into a liquid measuring cup and stir in 2 to 3 drops green food color. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes, then pierce the top of the warm cake every inch with the end of a chopstick or ¼-inch diameter wooden spoon handle, wiping off as necessary to minimize sticking.
- Evenly spoon limeade mixture slowly over top of cake allowing liquid to fill holes. Cool completely, about 1 to 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, whip 2 teaspoons lime zest into the fluffy white frosting, then spread evenly over cake. Cover loosely and store in refrigerator. Garnish with fresh lime twists.