Fresh vegetables and toasted pecans bring long-grain rice up a notch.
- Makes: 8-10 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 cups water, divided
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ yellow pepper, diced
- 4 tender carrots, peeled and diced
- 3-4 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large skillet, saute the raw rice in 1 teaspoon of oil. Using a spatula, stir it often over medium-low heat until golden. Pour in 2 cups of water. Stir occasionally until water is fully absorbed. Add remaining cup of water and stir occasionally until rice is fluffy. Using the spatula, spoon it into a large bowl.
- Add the parsley and onions. Place the skillet back on medium heat and saute the peppers, carrots and ¼ salt until tender in other teaspoon of canola oil, stirring often.
- When softened, spoon into the rice mixture.
- Lastly, lightly brown the pecans in the butter with ¼ teaspoon salt. When browned, stir into the rice mixture.