Muskmelon is the star of this summery ribs recipe.
- Makes: 6-8 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: about 4 hours
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- 4 cups muskmelon (any combination)
- ½ medium onion
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 slabs baby-back ribs
- Puree melon, onion, vinegar and seasonings together in a food processor or blender. When well combined, pour into a saucepan and stir over medium heat until thick and reduced to about 1 cup (about 30 minutes).
- Heat oven to 275 degrees. Rinse and pat ribs dry with paper towels. Lightly salt and pepper both sides. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Baste with the sauce. Roast in oven for about 4 hours, basting every 30 to 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
You can also use the melon baste as you would any barbecue sauce. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for three days.