- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seafood seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs, divided
- ⅓ cup green onions (both white and green parts), very finely chopped
- 1 pound refrigerated lump meat and backfin crabmeat, picked free of cartilage and shell
- 14-15 ounces (1 jar) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 ounces (1 jar) roasted red bell peppers, liquid drained and reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 very large garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup natural sliced almonds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, seafood seasoning and egg. Lightly stir in ½ cup breadcrumbs and green onion. Add crabmeat, stirring lightly until just blended.
- Place remaining ½ cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Gently shape mixture into 16 patties and flatten into them to about 2 to 2 ½ inches wide while completely covering both sides with breadcrumbs.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, then gently turn crab cakes over and bake another 5 to 9 minutes, until golden brown on both sides. Serve warm with Romesco sauce.
- While crab cakes cook, make Romesco sauce. In a food processor bowl, combine diced tomatoes, roasted red peppers, oil, vinegar, garlic, almonds, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Process until mostly smooth. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons reserved bell pepper juice and process until thoroughly combined and nearly smooth. Add additional bell pepper liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- Serve immediately with crab cakes or refrigerate in a tightly covered container.
Tips & Notes
Save money and make your own breadcrumbs. Just place slices of whole-wheat bread in the food processor and mix until crumbs form.