Few flavors complement one another quite like coffee and chocolate – a classic duo that stars in Mocha Mousse.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: Calories 424, Fat 36g, Protein 3.2g, Fiber 2g, Calcium 25.4mg, Carbs 21.5g, Sodium 30mg.
- Recipe Created By: Jessi Heggan
- Photo by: Jessi Heggan
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- ¼ cup hot espresso or 1 tablespoon instant espresso + ¼ cup hot water
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- In a glass bowl, combine butter and chocolate and melt in the microwave, stirring occasionally.
- Once melted, slowly pour the hot espresso and vanilla into the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Let cool to room temperature.
- Add the heavy cream to a chilled bowl, and with a hand or stand mixer, whisk the heavy cream until it forms soft peaks. It should resemble whipped cream
- Take about 1/3 of the whipped cream and mix it in to the melted chocolate. Take the remaining whipped cream and gently fold it in to the chocolate.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl, and with a hand or stand mixer, whisk the egg whites on high speed. When the eggs whites are beginning to look foamy, slowly sprinkle the sugar in and continue to whisk until you have soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate and then chill for approximately 4 hours or overnight.