Sweet chocolate truffles make for great food gifts.
- Makes: 24 truffles
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- 2 cups best-quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a microwave-safe dish, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil. Heat in the microwave in 1-minute intervals, stirring in between to prevent burning. When just melted, stir in the cream to make a shiny ganache. Allow to cool until the mixture is firm enough to scoop.
- Using a melon baller, scoop into about 2 dozen truffles. Dip the melon baller into very hot water in between scoops.
- In a separate bowl, sift together cocoa powder, salt and powdered sugar. Roll each truffle until very round and coat quickly with the cocoa powder mixture.
Tips & Notes
These have a longer shelf life than cookies and cakes. Unlike flour-based desserts, these break down more slowly, retaining freshness for about two weeks when refrigerated. They make an impressive gift.