This fresh and flavorful seafood dish is the perfect appetizer for a crowd.
- Makes: 9 servings
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: East Coast Shellfish Growers Association
- 36 large oysters tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon anise- flavored liquor
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup panko or soft breadcrumbs
- Italian parsley, optional
- Prepare a bed of crumpled aluminum foil or rock salt on a rimmed baking sheet for the oysters so they won’t tip over.
- Remove oysters from shells and reserve oysters and their liquid. Place 36 oyster shells (cup sides) on prepared baking sheet.
- Heat olive oil in pan and sauté spinach, draining any liquid.
- In a bowl, mix together spinach, sour cream, garlic, liqour, salt and pepper.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of spinach mixture in each shell. Place one reserved oyster on top of the spinach mixture in each shell.
- Spoon remaining spinach mixture over oysters. Preheat broiler.
- In a bowl, mix together breadcrumbs and cheese. Sprinkle evenly over oysters.
- Broil until cheese is melted and breadcrumbs are golden. Garnish with Italian parsley, if desired.