- 3 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups beef or vegetable stock
- 1 cup red wine (or another cup of stock)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 14 ounces (1 can) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 whole leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 6 ounces (1 box) Israeli or pearl couscous
- In a heavy stockpot, brown the meat in the oil. Add stock, wine, salt, pepper, bay leaves and tomatoes. Simmer over low heat for about 3 ½ hours, until meat is fork tender.
- Add the vegetables and couscous. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes longer, until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are cooked through.
- Season to taste. Serve hot with Tabasco or other favorite hot sauce, if desired.