Soft pumpkin cookies get a delicious upgrade with orange-cranberry icing.
- Makes: 48 cookies
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-14 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Cheryl Armstrong
- Recipe From: My Indiana Home
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 ½-3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed orange juice
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh-grated orange zest
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugars, butter and shortening with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat until just combined. Add pumpkin and beat until blended.
- Toss nuts with 1 tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
- Add remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt to creamed mixture; mix well. Stir in nuts by hand. Use a cookie scoop and drop dough 2 inches apart onto parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Immediately remove from cookie sheets and cool completely.
- To make the glaze: combine powdered sugar, orange juice, orange extract and orange zest, stirring until smooth. Frost the tops of cooled cookies and sprinkle with dried cranberries before frosting sets. Store in an airtight container.