A fresh, healthy side, balsamic vinegar give Brussels sprouts and red onion a tangy kick.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving (½ cup): 88 calories, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 21mg sodium, 3g protein, 3g fiber, 0mg cholesterol, 9 carbohydrates, 3g sugar
- Recipe Created By: Jodie Shield
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 1 ½ pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half through the core
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place Brussels sprouts in a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour sprouts on a sheet pan and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender inside. Shake pan occasionally to brown evenly.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, tossing occasionally until wilted and translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add vinegar (stand back to avoid fumes), and stir to loosen any brown bits on bottom of pan. Cook until vinegar is reduced and the onions are glazed, about 30 seconds.
Tips & Notes
Fresh Brussels sprouts come in bulk or handy prepackaged containers.