This refreshing salad is perfect for summer picnics.
- 2 cucumbers with peel (about 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- fresh oregano leaves for garnish, optional
- Slice cucumbers as thinly as possible by hand or using a mandolin (about 1/16-in thick). Place cucumber slices in a colander and sprinkle with salt; let drain for about 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water, then press out excess liquid removing seeds. Transfer cucumber slices to a large bowl along with the onion slices and dill.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the vinegar, oil and sugar. Add the dressing to the cucumber mixture and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour. Before serving, sprinkle with feta and garnish with fresh oregano leaves.