Tasty gingerbread cookies are a wintertime staple.
- Makes: 3 dozen
- Prep Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup solid vegetable shortening
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sorghum
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon each ground ginger, ground cloves and ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream together sugar, shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and sorghum until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Stir into the egg mixture until well blended.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Wrap securely in waxed paper and refrigerate for 3 hours. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Roll out dough to ⅛-inch thickness. This is key. Cut into shapes and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the cookies cool, make the icing: Mix all ingredients together until they are well blended. Ice cooled cookies with an even coating. Allow icing to set.
Tips & Notes
The icing on these cookies will be a thin, opaque layer. You can wrap and store the cookies for up to three weeks.