- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon dried sage (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
- 1 can (16 ounces) chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium skillet, fry sausage until brown. Remove from heat.
- In the same pan, add onions, garlic, mushroom and carrots. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a larger pot, add chicken stock, spices, sausage and vegetable mixture. Add chickpeas with liquid. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top.