Give your average breakfast quiche a healthy and flavorful upgrade with this savory recipe for Spinach, Tomato and Feta Quiche With Quinoa Crust.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in a fine-mesh sieve
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- For the crust, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring the quinoa and water to a vigorous boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Quinoa is done when it is tender, chewy and white spiral-like threads appear around each grain.
- Measure 2 cups of the cooked, rinsed quinoa into a medium-sized bowl. Combine the quinoa, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and 1 egg in a large bowl, stirring well. Press the quinoa mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove crust from oven and set aside.
- For the filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the canola oil and onion, and saute for 3 minutes. Add the remaining teaspoon of canola oil and spinach to the onion mixture, and saute 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cayenne pepper and lightly beaten eggs until well combined.
- Arrange the spinach mixture in crust. Pour egg mixture over spinach; add tomato slices and sprinkle with feta. Bake for 45 minutes or until eggs are set. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
Store the leftover quinoa in the refrigerator for another use. You can also make the crust ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.