- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- colored sprinkles
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar, then add egg. Add flour and stir well.
- Lightly flour a cutting board or tabletop, and roll out the dough. Cut out desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes, until light golden. Allow them to cool.
- Combine powdered sugar with just enough milk (about 1 tablespoon) to make a smooth icing. Ice the cookies and decorate with sprinkles.
Tips & Notes
This is a great recipe for kids to help out with. Let them break the egg, stir and measure ingredients. They can work the dough with clean hands until it is smooth, then help cut out their favorite shapes. Let them choose their favorite sprinkles to top off the cookies.