Sweet strawberries and crunchy streusel are the perfect match in this morning cake.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Vivian Howard
- ⅔ cup pecans, roughly chopped (or any other favorite nut)
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons room-temperature butter, divided
- ⅔ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and halved, divided
- Make the Streusel: In a medium bowl, toss together all the ingredients but the butter, taking care that everything is evenly distributed. Add the butter and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a wet crumb.
- Make the Cake: Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 tablespoon butter. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together ½ cup butter and the sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, making sure the first egg is fully incorporated before adding the second. From this point forward, make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically with a spatula. Add the cornmeal, roughly half a cup at a time, until it’s just incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another, smaller bowl, whisk the buttermilk and vanilla. With the mixer on low, add the sifted flour and buttermilk alternately in three batches, ending with the flour. Using your spatula, fold in the sour cream and strawberries.
- Assemble and Bake: Spoon half the corn-cake mixture into the bottom of the skillet and spread it out with a spatula. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top and finish with the remaining corn-cake batter. Spread the remaining strawberries over the top. Bake uncovered, in the middle of the oven, for 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Tips & Notes
If you like Vivian Howard recipes featured on the PBS show “A Chef’s Life,” be sure to check out these others: