- 3 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup green onions, finely chopped
- ¾ cup white or sweet onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons orange zest
- 3-4 tablespoons 100% orange juice
- 1 ¼ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ⅓ cups pecans, coarsely chopped and toasted
- Place sweet potato chunks in a large pan and cover completely with water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until just tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside to cool.
- When potatoes are room temperature or cool, place in a large bowl. Add both onions and celery. Toss lightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, orange zest and juice, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over potato mixture and toss lightly to coat all pieces.
- Stir in toasted pecans right before serving, so they don’t get soft. Refrigerate until serving time.