Hushpuppy Croutons, made with cornmeal and buttermilk, are the perfect topping for salads, veggies and more.
- Makes: 40-50 tiny hushpuppies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: Vivian Howard
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the cornmeal, salt and sugar. In a smaller bowl, whisk the onion into the buttermilk and add the club soda.
- Stir the wet into the dry and get ready to fry your puppies. The batter should be spoonable, not drippy, but not pasty either. It’s important to cook these within a half hour of mixing them. Otherwise, the club soda will have lost all its fizz, and the hushpuppies will be more dense than they should be.
- In three batches, drop ½ teaspoon-sized rounds of batter into the hot oil. Carefully stir them around after about 15 seconds, and cook a full 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Once they’re a deep golden brown on the outside, use a slotted spoon to lift them out of the oil, and drain them on a paper towel. Follow up with the next batch. Hold the hushpuppies in a warm oven till you’re ready to serve.
Serve these hushpuppies as a crunchy topping on Charred Spring Vegetables with Creamy Scallion Dressing.