Try this flaky catfish recipe for a new twist on fish sticks.
- Makes: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: Farming Feeds Alabama Cookbook
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 (6-ounce) catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch wide strips and patted dry
- peanut oil, for deep-frying
- ¾ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- Place cornmeal in a shallow dish, and season with salt and pepper. Dredge catfish strips in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess. Set aside on a wax-paper lined baking sheet.
- Pour 2 inches of peanut oil into a deep fryer or a large, heavy skillet, and heat to 375 degrees. Add catfish strips to hot oil, three at a time, and fry in a single layer for 5 minutes, turning to cook evenly, until golden brown and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Prepare dipping sauce 1 minute before serving catfish fingers. Mix vinegar, salt, pepper, shallot, garlic, green onions and parsley in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.